Friday, March 27, 2009

grandmas overtaking

The other day I was riding my bike up a hill rather slowly lost in thought when I became aware of a rider behind me who then passed me. It was a grandma on a bike. Her hair was white, her face wrinkled, her clothes were sporty. She was definately 70 plus, but she was fiesty. She was putting in her all to pass me and I appreciated that because when she slowed down midway up the hill I didn't pass her. This was not the first time and elderly lady got competitive with me and I think its great she's still riding her bike. In fact Ive seen some ladies so wrinkled and frail looking on bikes that I couldn't imagine them standing without a walker. And perhaps they can't! But at least they are still riding. Go ladies! This would never happen in the USA. My grandma was driving a car until she was 90 but a bike? Never.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your comparisons between German and American culture. They're very helpful. Thank you. It's been a while since you've posted but I'll check back for more occasionally. Thank you.