Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Differences #4

Hall lights.

If I'm in my own apt. in NYC and I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water I either turn the hall light on stumble around in the dark. But if it’s the middle of the night and for some reason I'm at work, or in a hotel, apt. building or Time Square I expect all the lights to be on 24/7.

Here lights are only on at night in hallways if you turn on a timed light switch. If I’m coming come to my apartment at night I have to flip a light switch before going up the stairs. If I’m too slow the light will go out before I reach my floor and I pray that I wont break my legs stumbling up steps to find the next light switch in the pitch dark. I usually don’t make it down the hall to my door before the next light goes out. Every once in awhile I arrive at my door unscathed and find my next obstacle. To the left of my door is the square light switch and right below it a square door buzzer. I say eenie meenie minie moe, cross my fingers and hope I don’t press the buzzer and wake up Jurij.

1 comment:

Bill Z said...

I will send you a mini mag lite!