Friday, September 22, 2006

Differences #2

Windows and doors.

I was at Jurij's parents house during my first visit to Germany. I attempted to open the door to the porch by pulling upward on the handle and the door nearly fell off. At least that’s what I thought as I was busy having a heart attack. Porch doors and windows have this amazing capability of opening from the top for maximum ventilation. And you need a lot of ventilation in apartments and houses over here since most dwellings are no older than 60 years and have been constructed with the latest energy saving technology. If you don’t crack open a window you just might suffocate since buildings are really air tight. Unfortunately after several months over here I still struggle to open the door the right way. After 32 years of opening a door only one way, the old door neurons in my brain aren't learning any new tricks.

No comments: